Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Exciting news!

So, I sent out the massive emails, letting our extended families and friends know our news...although we've found out that some of our family members somehow figured out/were told by someone other than us. We're not mad - just sad that we weren't the ones to tell them.

Anywho, on with the news.

I've been sick. Tired. REALLY really really tired. And sick. Oh yeah, I'm developing this great look of "I've- eaten-24-Tim-Horton's-Boston-Creme-doughnuts"...

I'm 13 weeks pregnant. :)

After losing three babies, we are cautiously excited. There's something to be said about how miscarriges change the way you approach a pregnancy. And maybe it's just the way that I allow the miscarriages to change my views. Either way, this pregnancy is being handled so differently than any of our other three:

-We have changed to a different OB and are very happy with how he is handling us and this pregnancy, even though we weren't totally sold on him the first time we met him. It took us praying about it to realize that he really was what we needed. He's upfront and honest and gives us options, giving us his opinion but yet also giving us the room to make our own decision.

-Our OB told us when we first met with him (before we were pregnant) that he would see us on a regular basis. And he has kept his word. I saw the nurse two days after we found out that we were pregnant, to do paperwork, go over our history and to get bloodwork done. I met with the doctor less than a week later. He did an ultrasound to check for a sac, placenta and to make sure my uterus was okay. It was :) He has seen me every 2 weeks (or close to it) since. We have had another ultrasound at 7 weeks because he couldn't find the heartbeat. We saw the baby bean, saw their heart flickering away and was able to hear it via the ultrasound machine. We have seen him at 9, 11/12 weeks and have heard the baby's heartbeat both times. It was amazing each time :)

-He is quick to get me in if I experience problems and has said he would do whatever he can to help us. I was experiencing intense migraine headache this past Friday, Saturday and Sunday - complete with losing my vision in my left eye (an aura). I usually do Imtrex injections; however those are a big no-no when pregnant. I was also experiencing some strong cramping on Sunday, which lasted nearly 9 hours. I called early Monday and was able to get in on Tuesday morning. The cramping, he figures, is from the baby and my belly growing. He gave me some stronger Tylenol to take if I get another migraine. I didn't fill the prescription on Tuesday thinking I didn't need it - as soon as I stepped into the house after my appointment, I got anther aura and migraine :( This one wasn't quite as bad.

We are excited to see what God has in store for us - His plan for us as a couple, and now, as parents-to-be. I'm trying to be patient and just let God handle this...it's just so incredibly hard. I guess that's where I need to work on.

Now that I'm 13 weeks (the farthest we have gone in any of our pregnancies!), I'm experiencing a little less nausea but increased exhaustion - bone weary, can't move a muscle exhaustion. I sleep at least 9 hours a day and usually nap. Today, I haven't napped yet and I can feel it. I'm tired. And a wee bit cranky. I think it's a major blessing that I'm not working this summer because I seriously do not know how I'd be able to function teaching. It's THAT bad.

On that note, I'm going to go make a snack and then nap until Caleb comes back from my in-laws to change the brakes on my car.

*I feel so much better now that I am able to talk about the pregnancy openly now that everyone knows....It took everything in both of us, as well as our immediate families and closest friends, to not say anything...*

5 comments:

Russ and Karen Gaston said...

Congrats!!! I hope everything goes well with this pregnancy. What a miracle!

Paula said...

Amanda, I didn't have a clue you were pregnant! But once you shared the news, I remembered you hadn't been feeling well and that you hadn't taken the Imitrex. Even the migraine made even more sense (I understand they're sometimes hormone related). I'm just so happy for you. :) And it sounds like the dr switch was definitely a good thing. Usually the exhaustion eases a bit in the second trimester. And then you'll start feeling things! :) Let me know if you need anything. Love you guys!

The Scott Household said...

Paula - I hadn't been feeling well but in addition to being pregnant, I was under a bunch of stress, which causes my IBS to flare up. I usually get migraines at least once a month, more if the weather is nasty. I was praying I'd be one of those pregnant women who didn't get the migraines...no such luck. Dr. McDonnell thinks that in combination with the hormones, plus stress, recent weirdo-weather AND the fact that I'm a migraine sufferer anyway, he said that he wasn't surprised. He gave me Tylenol 3, but I think I'll try to avoid it unless I really need it.
Right now, I need energy :)

The Scott Household said...

And I have to say, I was pretty excited that I've kept my mouth shut this long :)

Chrystal said...

That is wonderful news! I will be praying for you!