Monday, January 12, 2009

Christmas is long gone.

Yeah, I seem to stink at this whole blogging thing. I can't seem to find the energy to sit down and type what's going on in our lives.
Which hasn't been a ton of exciting things, mind you.
But sometimes our lives are just like that.

We are both back to work on normal schedules. Nothing was scarier than not knowing what was going to happen after the two week lay-offs at the hospital. Thankfully, Caleb worked the majority of those two weeks but at reduced hours. And our hearts ached for those who weren't working, at the hospital and all those unemployed. Both of my parents are currently unemployed and the stress because of said situation....it's worrisome. But they both continue to tell us not worry - how can I not? They're my mom and dad!

My job is extremely stressful as well, but I knew that going in to it. I am finding that preschool aged children simply aren't what I want to do with the rest of my life. I love kindergarten and adored teaching it and I thought that the preschool classroom would be similar - and for some parts, it is. But this class is especially young (four of them just turned four in October) and that makes some days extremely difficult. Like today.

Christmas was rough this year, as it will be every year. Our first baby was due two days after Christmas, which also happened to land on the day of my husband's family holiday get-together, where I would be around my pregnant sister-in-law (who is due a month before us) and two cousins-by-marriage (who are due a month and two months, respectively, after us).
I sat at home and grieved - cried, sobbed until near hysteria and sat on my knees and yelled.
I needed to grieve. And hurt and feel pain - something that has been hard for me lately. My body has been numb lately to the pain and hurt of losing three babies in under a two year time frame. It's fairly normal, says every book, article and my doctor. It's a normal reaction to death, and death that has happened three times too many. I can feel myself on the mend, which is encouraging. And relaxing a bit more around pregnant women and babies. I held a cute red-headed baby (the son and brother of one of my parents/students) last week and didn't hyperventilate. This is a BIG step for me. Now, if I just could convince myself that I can do that in front of my pregnant relatives.....

Our New Year's was awesome - we drove to GR to see some great friends and just relax. We drank hot cocoa, ate yummy/belly expanding food, watched husbands play silly computer games, tried out the Wii, drank Sparkly juice and just had fun. It was the first time I've really really laughed in a long time. It was great.

Now, we're just getting back in to the swing of life - we both came home with migraines/sinus headaches tonight (looming storm and snow day?) , so we went to a local sub shop and ate, even though we weren't planning on eating out again until our planned date in February. But it was either eat out somewhere with warm food or eat PB & J, which is about all the energy I had. We opted to eat out, get some caffeine and just - be. It was nice.

Now? I'm in fuzzy Hello Kitty socks (a gift from one of my students - a cute poem about things that teachers need, from fuzzy socks and calming tea to an eraser, purple sparkly pens and Snoopy band-aids), even fuzzier fleece pajamas and a warm sweatshirt. Laundry is running, kitty is snuggled behind me (in between me and the chair), other kitty is snuggled away somewhere and a dog sleeping by the couch. Husband is playing on the computer and relaxing.

It's a normal evening around here :)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Okay, you had me at the Hello Kitty socks. I am a total and fanatical Hello Kitty fan! :)

I popped over here to tell you that I felt the same way using the themed pages on scrapblog, so I chucked what they had and started fresh with a blank page. Then you simply add what you want. On the left side, you click on backgrounds and then on "get backgrounds." Then you have every single one at your disposal. And you can add as many as you want, so you can try out all kinds of different possibilities at one click. The stickers are the fun part. I searched on the idea I was looking for like "bows" or "flowers" and up they came. Again, you can add as many as you like. To add text, click the text tab and choose the one without the cartoonish balloons to put text anywhere you wish without a border. I'm sure the biggest issue was that it was a themed page you were working on because I did the exact same thing at first. You obviously have more tenacity than I because I gave up on the themed page pretty fast. :)
If I can be of any more help, just let me know.

On another note (holy comment, BTW...) I am deeply sorry for your losses. I truly am saddened that you had to endure such pain. I hope that your doctor will have the insight and wisdom to help you as best he/she can to help you become the mommy you were meant to be. I am a teacher, too (of high school), and I think we teachers must have that loving mommy gene built in. I wish you the very best and I was touched by your post.

MikeandJen said...

her name is Janine Hatt... incredibly wonderful.. I also know Beth Shaner, Joel Shaner's wife...

it was nice to see you. glad to know you're doing okay. it broke my heart when you said to the other girl in the room, "i'm not a mom"... because i knew exactly how it felt to say those words... even now, a week or so from holding our baby, i find myself crying over the baby we should have, that should be 7 months old. i find myself still stuttering when someone asks if this is our first... i answer yes, because, it's uncomfortable not to, but in my heart, the answer is so incredibly different.
hang in there, we think of you guys often.